MSD Profile - iYana

Historically black colleges and universities continue to produce talented African American students every decade. While many hip hop artists are not college educated and do not promote any type of education in their performance, Iyana tells it like it is with her Spelman college degree in the frame. “I recently graduated from Spelman College with an English degree,” she mentions. Her degree from a top women’s college gives her an outlet to do freelance editorials and playwright work, but still remain true to her passion and gift of words. And having that loner, stoner, rolling stone identity is what defines her musical expression. “That phrase is just a play on words. It is representative of my introverted nature that allows me space to create and express myself. Rolling stone is a representation of how I feel about my music. As I grow older I evolve, so does my music,” she begins. YaNi. Yana. Yan-Star. Blues babi. Brown eyed bandit. Rebel with applause. The wicked word wizard has many nicknames from her supporters and those in her circle, but gaining those Atlanta individuals to have her back entailed hard work through her live performances and networking. “I gained fans andsupporters in Atlanta by performing at Apache Cafe, Sugarhill, the 40 Watt, in the AUC, at Georgia State, Agnes Scott College, UGA, and coffee shops throughout the city. At Spelman I gained a name for myself as a hip hop/spoken word artist. The AUC had been a firm base of support in past years,” Iyana says. At the Perfect Attendance showcase this weekend, some audience members only expect to hear some good music and have some drinks; however, Iyana’s performance may be significant to the Jerry Springer show circa the late 90s. “On January 2nd, you can expect objects to fly in the air!” she exclaims. It is her initial involvement with Fadia Kader that came from her name being thrown in the air from several projects. “I’ve been in Atlanta for a while, from Spelman, I worked with Jaspects on their second album as well as their most recent album. In addition, a rapper named Small Eyez put me on his project “Vipassana.” The rest is sort of history.” And this history consists of many of the other Perfect Attendance performers. She’s freestyled with Corinne Stevie on a regular, Eva Kennedy has commended her on past performances, and Khaos Da Rapper cooked for her. “I’m very cool with Corinne Stevie, we've free styled a couple times at my house. Eva has seen me perform with Jaspects at Sugarhill in 2008. Khaos makes a mean turkey burger!” Iyana adds. Iyana’s activism through her music is admirable. Her work with The Promiscuity Project in Michigan was a presentation of safe sex and protecting one’s body through films and live performances. The project allowed for the performance of a track that has a deeper meaning than its name. “I loved being a part of this project because I was able to share my song "Rushin Roulette" as a form of activism. The song centers around using protection, men on the down low, and having children out of wedlock. In this song I speak to my listeners on several levels about the importance of knowing your status and forming healthy relationships,” she informs us. Things we can expect from Iyana in 2010 are an international tour and some filming. “I’m doing it on a whole other level. I will be in Holland and Czech Republic on my European tour entitled "The Peace Chronicles". I leave the states on January 19th. I am in the beginning stages of a mini-documentary that will be entitled "Love Lost:Stories of Unrequited Love and Loss". But what she can expect in 2010 is more recognition of her industry twin. “At least twice a day I am told I look like Erykah Badu,” she laughs but loves. Iyana believes Erykah Badu said it best, “Change is inevitable and the music I make is ever-changing.” Rushin' Roulette Iyana is on Facebook, Twitter, and MySpace. So get to know her and check her out!