MSD Profile - staHHr

“F.E.M.C.E.E.? I just stopped using it. Some people loved it and others hated it. Change comes as you grow.,” a well-known female MC of Atlanta hip hop tells me. She’s been on the Atlanta music scene since 1992, but she is far from done with her message to support, empower, and strengthen all humankind. Even since then people have somewhat tried to change her. “People have tried to change my name, add to my name. They’ll change the spelling of it, but I’m formally and professionally known as staHHr.” Stahhr is known to many as a female wordsmith and an empress. The hook up with Fadia Kader for the Perfect Attendance showcase was as simple as a phone call and a common ‘my people will get back to your people.’ While she awaits an optimistic future collaboration with what she quickly considered the phenomenal Dolldaze, she is excited to see what the other women of the showcase have to offer on January 2nd. As for her, just straight Golden Era, love, life, energetic hip hop can be expected from the stage into the crowd. Recently, more than ever, it is through her lyrics that she wants you to focus on the balance between content quality and quantity she is helping to create in hip hop. “Music is really powerful. If you’re listening to something that’s calling you a bitch all day or telling you you’re good for sex and you keep listening, then you’ll start believing in that. It’s programming. That’s something that will always exist we can’t get rid of it. I just want it to be balanced. It needs to be balanced,” she recognizes in the current state of hip hop. But this does not stop her from acknowledging those, including herself, that are gradually making that balance happen for the people. “A lot of local people are doing a great job; Mike Lo, Supanova Slom, and Diamond District. Jay Electronica does a good job of balancing consciousness with royal lyricism and bringing a street edge to it.” Her belief is that consistency was and still is the key to her gaining and keeping fans since actively performing on the Atlanta scene since 1998. “I’ve seen it go from two females in a cipher at Underground Atlanta to what it is now. I support people and I try to keep something out there, even if it’s just a collaboration or a mixtape. Internet promoting and I guess word of mouth promoting. Aligning myself with people who have an audience and open you up to new fans and other audiences. Consistency is the number one thing.” Stahhr understands that relationships in this industry are important. One relationship that started over a decade ago, led her to what many believe, myself included, will be a heavy hitting, head-turning project in 2010. She the Hard Way is a master alliance created by Atlanta hip hop legend DJ Sol Messiah. “I met Messiah in ’93 and we were finally able to work together.” Rhymists Rita J, Saroc, Khalilah Ali, Boog Brown, and Stahhr share one mic bringing professional content and talent. “Every sister that’s involved brings their own unique style. They are all strong lyrically and they are all strong performance wise.” In the baby stages of a new album with producers from Iceland and a mashup Cd of gifted and significant women in Atlanta hip hop for 2010, Stahhr is definitely be shining in hip hop now, but expect her to be uplifting forever. “I’m all for empowerment definitely because I think the female voice is not heard often and then when it is you only hear two extremes and nothing in the middle. I guess I’m that middle.” Grandmaztaz Check more of staHHr's music at her MySpace Music page or tweet her!