Niko Villamor - Another Day At the Office


Niko is very unique. “My rap name was Uniq. I had friends who said they couldn’t call me Unique so they just called me Nik. One day someone called me Niko and it stuck since then. So essentially everyone is calling me the nickname for Unik, not my first name Dominik,” Niko Villamor says how he came to be.

From the Bay to the A, Niko’s street smarts and artistic side make him real diverse when it comes to lyrics. He’s dropped several mixtapes across the coasts that show his ability to be himself when it comes to the mic. When introduced to Fadia Kader by DJ Smilez, he was thankful for the opportunity to perform at Perfect Attendance. The music Atlanta has to offer is endless and he respects everything the city brings. “Young Lyxx is dope. Mums FP is dope. A lot of people on the [Perfect Attendance] showcase are dope and people I respect. Atlanta has a lot of dope talent. Love Mach 5. I would love to work with everyone. The industry in Atlanta is built off synergy.”

The White Light Syndrome project from last year, includes his team Dj Smilez, 080, and Niko putting together music for the masses with a different kind of synergy. His Rescue Ops mixtape dropped last year as well and received great feedback. “Let’s Go,” a track with Lloyd is going to be his breakthrough song at all costs. The song has been deemed special by his peers and other tastemakers, so he’s ready to push it. “I did that record and I kinda slept on it. People told me I gotta do something with it, it’s special. So I’m really gonna be pushing that record hard. Definitely gonna try to get big with that.”

Being compared to Kanye West was new to him, but now he’s getting a lot more recent artists on the list. “I’m being compared to Drake and Kid Cudi. I like those artists so I don’t mind being compared to them,” he says. His artist inspirations vary because he is mainly inspired by life. He’s expanding his sound by listening to jazz and getting into alternative music to get a better idea of how to switch things up. Niko enjoys being a sponge, taking it all in, and giving his fans his all.
His sound is very moving, lively, and soulful. Niko wants his fans to enjoy the experience of listening to him. “If someone can play me to start their day whether they’re going to McDonalds or traveling to France, then I’m doing my job. I want to be motivating. I’m not just gonna stunt on them and make them feel unsuccessful about their life,” Niko expresses.

Balance is very important. As an artist, he makes a point to balance out his hood music and his crossover music. “I’d love to work with Young Dro. People don’t know he’s a great artist. But don’t get it twisted, I’ll turn around and do a track with Will.I.Am too. You gotta have balance,” he says.

April 3rd, he’s gonna balance out the stage with a performance filled with surprises, friendly competition, but no gymnastics. “I’ve got some things lined up that I’m working on for the show. I’m gonna jump, but no backflips. I mean everyone’s good people but I’m gonna go up there and do what I gotta do. Incentives don’t change my performance. I’m always gonna work hard.” Win or no win, he’ll take the handshake at the end. It’s just another day at the office for him.