Floco Torres - Remedy for ADD

“I should’ve kept my butt in school,” the 22 year-old from New Jersey said about his attempted transition from the north to the south. When a marketing internship opportunity in Atlanta went sour, Floco Torres had to make a quick decision midway in his drive down the east coast. “I was in Virginia, with my car packed up and everything. They called and said they couldn’t afford me because of the recession. I had family in Georgia so I just called my grandmother in Macon and asked could I stay with her until I can get things together.” According to Torres, the music scene in Macon, Ga is eclectic and beautiful, so he does not regret a bit of the move. The hip-hop, alternative rock artist likes to put his hands in all genres to see what he can come up with, but his creativity lies with alternative music, yet that’s not where it ends. Rocking with Macon stars lyricist Al King and hip hop duo City Council gave him insight on ways to make it in the south. “I saw City Council perform at the Perfect Attendance in October. I saw what the showcase did for them and I had to be apart.” In a city where everyone where every one wears shades and wants to be ‘that guy;’ Floco is just a skinny black dude wearing combat boots paying tribute to a Hispanic woman from his past. Well, he was skinny. “My friend’s grandmother used to call me floco and it means ‘skinny’ but I got some weight on me now. She passed away when I was sixteen. I took that nickname and her last name because it was always there. His strategy is pretty basic. He has a Spanish stage name, he’s African American, and has the musical passion and motion of Kurt Cobain. People have to get to know him first musically before placing any judgment. At times it works, but mainly they want to know more about his name. “At first, people are more interested in my name than my music, but at the end of the day they can still relate to my music.” The fan base that the show junkie is building from performing at least three shows a week and participating in community activities across Macon show his ambition, hustle, and great personality. It’s easy for new artists to get caught up in making moves online only but it’s really all about getting the music out there. Floco didn’t fall for it and he knows at this point it’s more than the internet. Everyone is on the internet promoting and talking about music. Since that doesn’t work for people anymore, he’s got the cure. ““A lot of shows are paid, a lot are not paid, but you gotta get on the road and perform for these people. Their attention span is shorter, so you gotta be in their face,” Floco encourages upcoming artists like himself. Interestingly enough his musical relationship with fellow musical partner and Perfect Attendance performer, Al King, is a definite way to put on for their city. “I released the EP Psychedelphia as a split release with Al King’s Phantom of the Art Gallery,” Floco says. With a spot at the Macon music festival, Braggjam, there were over 700 people that were in attendance for the first performance of Al King and Floco Torres’ latest EP collaboration Social Collision. More relationships following his work with King are expected in the future because of the talent along the Perfect Attendance bill. “I’ve been working pretty closely with Al King in the last year but I’d love to work with Mums[FP] and do a record with Niko[Villamor]. They’re real dope dudes.” Many may think that his location hinders him from growing in the industry and making an impact musically, but Floco’s putting it out there for the other seven performers to know April 3rd is a competition. “You can expect a bashful, high-energy, emotional, artistic fifteen minutes from me. Honestly, I love everybody but I’m leaving it all on the stage! I’m coming for everybody’s head!” He’s coming for your fans too.