Smalleyez - The i Of It All


Hip hop soul doesn't just go with Mary J. Blige. Morehouse brother Smalleyez talks about what inspires the music he creates with a short answer as to why I helps identify everyone in some way. Athens is just one of the places he is chasing his dream.






Miss Solow Dolow: How would you describe your sound?
Small Eyez: Indie, hip hop, and soul. Soul being the feeling I try to convey in the records and the indie being the diversity in approach and sounds I'm going for in my music.

MSD: What are some of your influences?
SE: My parents. Innovators, lyricists, and songwriters from Tribe [Called Quest] to Bob Marley, from the Beach Boys to Common the list goes on and on. Anyone who has truly pushed the artform forward. I have studied and adapted my style from them.

MSD: Why the name Smalleyez?
SE: The short answer is taking a step back and seeing the whole picture. Look at I and i. I defines me, mine, ego. The small i in the word will is just as important as the rest of the letters. Without it you lose the meaning. There’s a bit of small eyez in everything.

MSD: What exactly is Che Sing the Cool?
SE: Che Sing the Cool describes the lifelong chase of the pursuit of your dreams. We all chase it everyday. Che Sing The Cool brands my marketing company and blog. It's the platform I use to promote me and promote good music from all genres.

MSD: Are you familiar with the Athens music scene?
SE: A little bit. Lyric Jones and Tommy Valentine brought me to Athens last year and I realized that the scene here is really bubbling.

MSD: Who would you like to collaborate with in either Athens or Atlanta?
SE: Lyric [Jones] is at the top of my athens list. I'm down to work with anybody with a great sound and good ideas.

MSD: Are you familiar with the lineup for Friday's show?
SE: Some. But I'm sure everybody’s gonna kill it in their own way.

MSD: What can the crowd expect Friday night?
SE: Mind explosions from the crowd, their hearts, bodies and souls! The radiant is coming!!! MSD: Any last words? SE: Visit www.Smalleyez.com. From the Sol, get it for free and spread it like mayonnaise!