Mayer Hawthorne - Timeless

The Michigan born and bred Renaissance man details his love for the south and the story of his hard work in music. Saturday night will be an experience for Atlanta and you can expect true musician Mayer Hawthorne and his team The County to really put on a show, giving you all of your monies worth.

Miss Solow Dolow: What are some of your favorite cities to perform in?
Mayer Hawthorne: Atlanta is definitely one of them. I love Atlanta and I’m super juiced that there are people in Atlanta that are digging my music.

MSD: Have you ever performed in Atlanta?
MH: I have and it was one of the best shows I’ve ever done. We did a show at the Drunken Unicorn and it was awesome. I love Atlanta.

MSD: What’s the nitty gritty of what makes Mayer Hawthorne, Mayer Hawthorne?
MH: Well…what you wanna know? [laughs]

MSD: Describe the concept behind the music you make. You have soul, rock, and a side of rap somewhere in the back that pops out. Tell those who don’t know, more about your music.
MH: That's about right. I try to make timeless music. Music that people will be looking for in thirty years, just like the music I’m digging from thirty years ago. It’s heavily rooted in soul but there is all kind of influences. I grew up listening to Motown and soul and then my parents put me on to The Beatles, The Hollies, and Queen. All of those influences are on my album. One of my favorite groups is the Smashing Pumpkins. I listen to a lot of rock music and reggae and you can hear a lot of that on my album. I’ve been a hip hop DJ/producer for the past decade and I never planned on recording a soul music record until Peanut Butter Wolf told me to.

MSD: What entertainers inspire a Mayer Hawthorne experience?
MH: James Brown, The Dramatics, The Temptations inspire the hard work ethic and care that go into the show that we bring. When you come to see a Mayer Hawthorne show you are not coming to see a concert, you are coming to see a show. We are not just standing on stage playing music; you are getting your monies worth. We work extremely hard and rehearse for countless hours on end to ensure that we are delivering the greatest show possible.

MSD: Who is the County and what do they do for your performance?
MH: The County is my live band. When I perform live, the County is my backing band. I played the majority of the instruments on the album myself, but I learned that I couldn’t play all of those instruments on the stage at the same time. I hired a group of my favorite musicians in the world that grew up with me in Michigan. If I had a million, billion dollars, these are still the guys I would want. I’m super, extremely lucky to have a band like this on the road with me. They make me look really good.

MSD: What music from Atlanta are you listening to?
MH: I’m a fan of anyone who is doing something creative and new; pushing music forward. I’m the hugest fan of Outkast and Atlanta is a fantastic breeding ground for artists and music.

MSD: You do a lot of covers. What cover would you do for the Atlanta audience?
MH: Covers are fun! We’ve been really working to do a cover of “Blame It On the Alcohol.” That would be fun. I don’t wanna give away the surprises but we have some really dope covers in store for Atlanta for sure.

MSD: What is your relationship with the other artists on the bill?
MH: Nikki Jean is on the tour with me. I’m a big fan of her music and really respect what she is doing. And I’m not familiar with Brittany Bosco but I’m definitely looking forward to her performance.

MSD: What can everyone expect on Saturday?
MH: Fun! You’re gonna get fun, surprises, and showmanship.

MSD: Nice.