Bosco - I'm Me

SCAD student turned international jazz star remains humble as she returns to Atlanta, Ga from overseas touring. She expresses the change in her career, life, and name as the jazzy crooner gets ready to release some Savannah soul on a southern crowd Saturday night. Introducing Bosco.

Miss Solow Dolow: How did you go from a SCAD student to international touring star? Bosco: I looked around my room one day and was basically thinking, “What am I doing here? I love fashion and all, but my heart will always lie with music.” I performed on campus at little spots and then decided to move to Atlanta to further my career a little more. There was one show here then it was a trickle down effect.

MSD: How exactly was performing overseas for you?
B: It was life-changing. I can say that I’m definitely not the same artist I was when I left the states. I just learned so much about who they are, how they perceive music and the way they see music. It’s not just about what you hear, but what you see. It encompasses the visuals too and I appreciate that about them. They are so accepting of new things, they’re not very standoffish. If it’s good, quality music, they accept it for what it is. I’ve learned to continue to do what I do and not conform to what society says is right or try to follow the formula to making it.

MSD: What’s the reason for the name change?
B: The reason for the name change, Brittany Bosco was a girl who knew nothing about nothing. I just wanted to sing. I didn’t know what I wanted or my sound. When I got back[from overseas], I was thrown into the whole hipster scene, but now I’m making my own lane. Bosco is more strong and confident in what she does. I have more direction. It goes with what I do now, bluesy, rock, soul type of thing. This is me and what I’m doing now.

MSD: What are some comparisons you receive now?
B: I get a lot of 60’s and 70’s artist comparisions, Janis and Tina. I listen to a lot of Sunhouse, Jack White.

MSD: What can people expect from a typical Bosco show?
B: It’s gonna be a different setup of musicianship. I’ve added a couple new layers. I don’t wanna put it all out there because I want people to come to the show and experience. It’s gonna be good, just know that. I don’t wanna say too much.

MSD: What artists influence your performance?
B: I love Allison Mosshart. James Brown. It’s ridiculous because the energy he has and he commands that attention from the audience. Tina Turner, Gladys Knight. I watch documentaries to get inspiration. As far as performance style, I just go inside. Half the time, I don’t know what is going on onstage and it’s like an out-of-body experience. I’m inspired by them but I don’t emulate. I know my set list and what I’m doing, but if I’m feeling a certain way from the crowd, I give them that. At the end of the day it’s not about you, it’s about the people. I refuse to put myself in a box. I can’t do that. It’s not natural for me.

MSD: Are you familiar with the bill?
B: It’s so funny how life pans out. I found out Nikki Jean was gonna be on the show, I was like “Holy Shit!” cause I really, really like Nikki Jean. I’ve been listening to her before I even hit the scene. She’s amazing. I don’t know the song name, but I’ve listened to Mayer Hawthorne. He’s really good and he has his own flair. I like him and respect his craft, what he’s doing.

MSD: What music do you like coming out of Atlanta right now?
B: I love the Judies, Wild Orchid, Dead Rabbit. The band Odist, their drummer is this girl named Sarah Wilson. She is talented! You find her! She is amazing. You have to see this girl play drums, like Shiela E2.

MSD: Are you excited about SXSW?
B: I am so excited and I can wait for everyone to see me perform! I have such high expectations for me and my crew. It’s gonna be great.