Jay West - From West with Love

Inspired by the likes of Jay-Z and Kanye West, his stage name is anything but that. “My name is Justin and I’m from Cali. My name has been Jay West for awhile. I’m from the west coast and my name is Justin, that’s not gonna change.”

For the west coast affiliate, being a momma’s boy got him to Atlanta, Ga. but being immersed in the city and seeing the opportunities kept him here. “I’m from San Bernadino and things are a lot slower out there. The opportunities I have out here I didn’t have out there. Now I’m here dropping the mixtape. I don’t know if I’d be in that same position if I was still in southern Cali.”

Describing his sound as progressive and emotional rap, the other Mr. West released Drugs and Candy, a mixtape that discusses the combination of good and bad while living the fast life. “There’s a marriage between the title, the concept, and the artwork. Drugs and Candy are the things that are characteristically in this world deemed to be good for you but can be used to hurt you and when abused are bad for you.”

Crowd pleaser cut “Plus Minus” starts the mixtape off with the overarching theme: Vices and what we as people decide to indulge in. Other tracks like “Summer Nights”, “White Lies, Black Dress”, and Hold Me Down present a softer tone lyrically and a beat selection with heavy percussion, guitar riffs, and live instruments.

As West looks to work with Savannah, Ga.’s Jake Troth and Iceland’s Patty Crash, he knows his responsibilities to the west coast. “I have no qualms saying I represent the A and I know I got dues to pay on the West Coast but I feel very responsible to put a good face on no matter what I do. Everyone has an expectation for the west coast to be gangster rap and those aren’t the ideals I represent. I want to be able to show more diversity and growth for Cali.”

Food, alcohol, drama, drugs or candy, whatever your vice you can OD on it all Friday night.

Download Drugs + Candy here.

Jay West will be performing at the next stop in SMKA's Atlanta Stargazing Tour on Friday night on the Glenn Hotel. For more info, see here.