MSD Profiles "Mr. Musical Architect Himself"

Valentine’s Day weekend and Zo is excited about coming to Atlanta. “First off, I’m exciting about performing in Atlanta again period. Ya’ll give off a lot of good energy.” And even though he is taken care of in the Valentine category, on Friday night, Zo promises to take care of those in the crowd who need assistance in the love area with his architectural skills. Architect (är’kĭ-tĕkt’) n. 1. One who designs and oversees the construction of large structures, as buildings, bridges, ships. 2. A planner or deviser. Claiming the identity of a musical architect says a lot about his character. “I take music very seriously. It’s something that I look to keep practicing and get better at. You’ll never hear me say that I am the best at anything,” Zo starts off. The Detroit born and east coast bred musician does not play when it comes to anything involving music and his talent. His sound is something quite profound that many have and have not experienced. “My sound is more emotional than anything. I wouldn’t compare it to anything. My passion is good music.” After seeing his fellow Foreign Exchange Music family, Phonte Coleman and Nicolay[the Foreign Exchange], receive a Grammy nomination for their independent venture, he is ready for everyone to understand where he’s coming from. “That’s the ultimate nod. The simple fact that they got the nod on their own time, doing their own thing, makes cats like me, that do that, proud. Our eyes get bigger and see how it is attainable,” Zo exclaims. The former superstar baseball player didn’t have much of a musical presence in his school settings, but his excitement was quickly transferred once he graduated from rap group Nappy Roots alma mater, Western Kentucky University. Those piano lessons that he used to hate with a passion became his focus and stronghold for where he is now musically. His knowledge of the bass guitar and some drums take him a step further in the game. He is truly ahead of those already in it and his past works definitely show that. His resume, which includes work with the likes of Asylum 7, Little Brother, Yahzarah, and Slum Village, represents what many wish they could obtain in their time. And consistency is important to him as the Foreign Exchange Music family will be apart of his upcoming 2010 release Sunstorm. His relationship with everyone in the imprint begins with as a message board and a Little Brother show in Michigan. “I saw on a message board the Phonte[Coleman] had heard a Little Brother remix from my Re-Definition album. So my purpose was to go as a fan and introduce myself. The show was dope and after it was over, I went to introduce myself. He already knew who I was and he had some of my music in his Ipod,” Zo! enlightens me about their first in-person encounter. From that night, they exchanged info and kept in touch. The alliance was formed after their partnership through the Love the 80’s collaboration with Tigallo and the …just visiting album. Since then, Phonte kept his word about taking Zo on tour with him and the rest is history. He loves him to death. “There’s only two cats in this [industry] that I know and I love to death that kept their word. Phonte and Waajeed[Pied Pipers]. Everything they said has materialized.” And Zo! has been one to materialize futures for others. As a music teacher for special education in Washington, D.C., he encourages his students to play instruments freely, which pushes for creativity. It’s apparent that he uses music to saves lives and show students there is something more than what the streets offer and what the media advertises to them. “Music can be influential in many ways. My students come from broken homes, their parents in the streets, foster homes, and group homes. So they are already going in the wrong direction; societal problems at their worst. Using music positively is what I’m trying to do. I wish more light would be placed on that rather than what they say they think a 2Pac record made somebody do. These kids are coming off the streets and being saved by music,” he avidly expresses. As Zo continues to bring hope to his students, he hopes for his name is be respected among listeners everywhere. Every forthcoming release should be purchased solely off of his name, which has the talent to back it. “My goal is to put out consistent, quality, good music so they can just fall back on my name being good work.” February 12th we get to hear some of that good music when he reaches Atlanta with a lineup of outstanding artists that are real talents. “Bilal, I’m definitely a fan of his work and vocally, he can sing! I’ve met Jesse and he is gonna be on my new album so I’m really happy about that. He’s a real talent. Good music exists ya’ll, and he is proof.” Zo is proof too. Get up with Zo! over here and here.